Sunday, October 6, 2013

Spicy Garlic Eggplant

I was so happy to see eggplant when I looked into my CSA bag yesterday!  I've been having a craving for Asian food and have been waiting to try a recipe that I copied from The Breath of a Wok by Grace Young and Alan Richardson.  I have always loved looking at cookbooks in the offices of the chefs I have worked for over the years. 

This recipe is pretty straight forward and a little bit healthier than many stir-fried eggplant recipes.  Most recipes call for one or more cups of oil.  But by steaming the eggplant before you stir fry it, you reduce the amount of oil needed and keep the rich flavor.  I ate mine warm, with farro (my favorite rice-substitute).  But you can also serve this room temp or chilled.  

My first delivery of eggplant!  Yay!                                    




Ingredients

4 medium Asian eggplants (approx 1.5 lbs)
1/4 C soy sauce
2 T Chinkiang or balsamic vinegar (I used balsamic)
2 T Shao Hsing rice wine or dry sherry (I used sherry)
1 T sugar
1 t salt
1 t red pepper flakes
3 T vegetable oil
1/4 C minced garlic
1/4 C minced ginger
1 t sesame oil
1/4 C finely minced scallions

Preparation

Cut the eggplants into 2-inch sections, then halve each section lengthwise.  Cut each half lengthwise into thirds to make sticks.  In a small bowl combine the soy sauce, vinegar, rice wine (or sherry), sugar, salt, and pepper flakes.  Set aside.

Add water to a 3/4 inch level in a saucepan fitted with a steam basket.  Cover and steam on high heat for 5 to 8 minutes, or until eggplant is tender when pierced by a knife.  Make sure not to let the water evaporate.  Replenish if necessary.

Heat a wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact.  Swirl in the vegetable oil, add the garlic and ginger, and stir-fry 10 seconds.  Add the eggplant and stir-fry 20 seconds.  Stir the sauce, swirl it into the wok, and stir-fry until the eggplant is heated through, about 1 minute.  Drizzle on the sesame oil and scallions.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment