Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Christmas (or anytime) Eggs



My family traditionally enjoys this breakfast strata on Christmas morning, hence the name.  Although I have added it into my anytime-delicious-brunch repertoire because it is just that: Delicious!  The original recipe came from my Aunt Vickie, and she would make it for her family for holiday breakfasts as well.  I can honestly say it is one of my favorite breakfast dishes of all time!

When I saw the beautiful Chantarelles on Erica's table my mind immediately knew I would be making this asap.  The beautiful sweet onions only made it better  And what is great about this recipe is it is versatile.  In this version I used Chantarelles, onion, and garlic all from the CSA.  I happened upon some brioche and breakfast sausage left over from work brunch so I used that.  Generally I just use regular old white bread, bacon, and button mushrooms.  But you can even add veggies to it as well!  It would be great with some sauteed greens, asparagus, or even oven dried tomatoes folded in.  The possibilities are endless!  I hope that you all enjoy this strata as much as I do.  I guarantee you will be the hit of your next brunch party if you bring this!!!!  

Ingredients

 
1 8 x 12" pan
5 slices of soft brioche bread
1 C swiss cheese
1 C cheddar cheese
1/2 lb breakfast sausage, crumbled
1/4 lb chantarelle mushrooms
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
5 eggs
1 1/2 C milk
Salt and Pepper to taste

Procedure



Preheat oven to 350.  Grease bottom and sides of 9x13 pan.  Line bottom of pan with bread. Sprinkle ½ of each cheese over the top of bread.  Cook sausage, reserving drippings. Saute mushrooms, onion, and garlic in fat, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.  Spread both on top. Poke holes through the layers with a large fork about 1/2” apart.  Whip eggs to a froth, and add milk and cream of mushroom soup to eggs and stir.  Pour over the layers. Top with remaining cheese.  Refrigerate 24 hours.  Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  Let stand for 10 minutes.  Slice and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment